1923 Young Irelands Hurling Club flag donated to the GAA Museum
9th January 2012
A ‘Young Irelands Hurling Club’ flag, dating from the foundation of the club in 1923, was recently donated to the G.A.A. Museum by members of the historic Dublin club.
The flag, in the blue and gold colours of the club, bears the name of the club in both Irish and English and was often brought to matches by supporters of the club. Phil Kennedy, when officially donating the flag to the G.A.A. Museum, recalled the memorable days the club had and spoke of his satisfaction that the flag would be preserved in the Museum for future generations.
On Sunday 23 October 1923 thirty-nine people met at John O’Brien’s premises on the corner of Liffey Street and Bachelor’s walk and, on the proposal of Willie Conway, a new hurling club was formed with taking the name ‘Young Irelands Hurling Club’. The people present at this meeting were partly drawn from two older clubs-Grocers and Raparees-who had disbanded. Young Irelands had an immediate impact on hurling in Dublin-in their inaugural campaign, in 1924, they sensationally beat reigning Dublin champions, Faughs, knocking them out of the county championship.
All queries regarding donations to the GAA Museum should be made to the Museum Curator, Joanne Clarke, by contacting either (01) 8192323 or email@example.com